Het kan in AlmereEnglishPractical Information

On this page you can find some practical information. These official procedures can help to prepare you for your move to the Netherlands.

Almere Stad


If you relocate to Almere from abroad, you need to register as a resident. There are two ways to go about this process. You can register in person at Almere city hall, or you can register via IN Amsterdam, of which the city of Almere is a partner if you’re a highly skilled migrant or EU citizen. For the Almere city hall procedure you must register in person at city hall. You can also register for short registration.

Living and working

Almere is a young city with a great deal of ambition. The available houses, good schools and sports facilities attract a growing international population. Here you will find some practical information on living, education, healthcare, sports, work & income, waste & recycling in Almere.

Almere Stad
Expat familyHousing Almere

More practical information

Almere has more more information for internationals on the municipality website. If you are looking for more information about housing, working, education, lifestyle in The Netherlands in general, visit www.iamexpat.nl.

Another source of information is ACCESS. Access provides answers to the many questions one has when relocating to a new country, offering empathy, guidance and positive reinforcement of the possibilities in the Netherlands and creating professional volunteering opportunities for the accompanying spouses as they look for their own purpose in the country, and build their local networks. On www.access-nl.org you can find answers to over 300 of the more FAQ of internationals. Direct contact through helpdesk@access-nl.org. Additional support is also provided through the ACCESS Counselling Services Network, where you can reach out (free of charge) to a professional therapist, and be directed to the most relevant support needed. ACCESS CSN members are multilingual, and all have expatriate experience, so they know the challenges.

Growing Expat community

There are about 12,000 internationals in Almere. ‘International Almere’ is an active group of around 1200 members that share the same mission “to help internationals to feel at home in Almere”. This community is growing steadily and events are organised regularly to bring people together and make new connections. For example, you can visit the Dutch Language Café to learn the Dutch language and meet new people. Of all internationals, the Indian community is the fastest growing group. In 2018 the first Divali festival, the festival of light, was celebrated.

You also have the ABCDE group that offers support and contact to families with kids who just moved to Almere in a safe and fun environment where children can learn and develop the importance of social skills through play while moms and dads alike have the chance to socialise and exchange thoughts about parenthood.

Are you curious about stories from expats in Almere? Read the story of Vicky and Shailja

expats almere


Call the City of Almere on 14 036 on weekdays between 08:30 and 17:00 (Friday 08:30 to 13:00) or visit www.english.almere.nl.

Almere City Guide

The pocket-sized city guide aims to show you all the good things Almere has to offer – and there’s a lot for us to squeeze in! You can find the modern architecture, cycle routes, cultural highlights and much more. You can search for the best outings per theme. There is also practical information, such as public transport, the Floriade and the history of the city.

Almere city guide